HOW CAN CROFT COTTAGE HELP YOU?
Croft Cottage has been created, not only to provide a safe and secure environment for your child, but also to significantly enrich their life.
Croft Cottage is owned by Achieving for Children and EnhanceAble are funded by AfC to run and manage the cottage. This facility is only open to Richmond children and you must speak to your child’s social worker about funding.
We will always put the child first and work closely with families, carers or professionals to make sure we are achieving the utmost for the individual child, contributing to their development and, of course, their happiness and fulfilment.
- Croft Cottage is a fully accessible 2-bed respite house for children with disabilities who live in Richmond
- Referrals must come through the local authority, and not directly through EnhanceAble.
- Croft Cottage is run by fully trained EnhanceAble staff.
- All children receive the correct support ratio that they have been assessed as needing. This is reviewed regularly.
- Children will be supported by staff who have training that is relevant to them and who know them and understand their needs..
Before each stay
Before each stay, a pre-visit conversation takes place between staff and carer where we can discuss the possibilities for the weekend’s activities and catch up on any recent changes in their lives. This means that there’s a clear structure in place that the child can expect.
At Croft Cottage we plan a weekly activities schedule based on the interests or requests of the child who is staying. The activities can take place both within the Cottage and in the community.
- Examples of some popular activities so far are: baking, sensory stories, musical sessions, visiting Kew Gardens, playing in the playground, going to EnhanceAble events, going to the cinema, going out to eat and more.
A WORD ABOUT OUR STAFF
- Many of the staff at EnhanceAble have direct experience of caring for a family member with a disability, which often inspires them to look for a job within care.
- We pride ourselves on our range of relevant training from paediatric first aid to Makaton and other specialist training.
- We are always more than willing to arrange new training for EnhanceAble staff where necessary for the wellbeing of a child.
AS THINGS PROGRESS
- Once children are more familiar with Croft Cottage and with the EnhanceAble staff team, we will begin to try more adventurous outings and activities outside of the cottage.
A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY
Croft Cottage is there to provide respite to you as parents, or carers, as much as to the young people who stay with us.
It’s often the case that parents like to stay on-site and to have a cup of tea and an informal chat with other carers and families.
In this way, Croft Cottage provides further respite for parents, as well as helping to grow a wider network of friendship and support.
To learn more about Croft Cottage, your best next step is to contact the EnhanceAble Short Breaks Manager, Chloe Moss, who will advise you on who you will need to contact – as referrals do not come directly through EnhanceAble.
0208 831 6011